Monday, December 3, 2007

Photog...Is that a word?

Thanks to a generous donation to the Jonathan Sellers Photography Foundation, I am now a photographer(well at least a beginner). I am now shooting with a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi that came equipped with Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-22 zoom lens. I am still learning about my camera and what it means to be a photographer. Heck, I got the thing on Saturday! But I plan to update this blog with what I'm learning as well as pictures I have taken.


My goal is to be a sports photog. My passion is sports and I believe I can show that through photography. My first shots with the new camera were at Troy University's (my alma mater) final football game against FAU(more on that to come). I got shots pre-game of the players getting ready for the Senior appreciation as well as their entrance to the field.






After the game, my dad, sister and I(all trying to become photogs) ventured back to the car taking shots along the way. I took a few on the school's quad that I thought turned out okay.






Now about the game...WHAT HAPPENED? The Troy Trojans football team had been stellar at home all year. Troy was 4-0 at home at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium with the average score being 39-11. Yes, we were dominant at home. The team was 8-3 going into the final game against FAU which would lock up a conference championship and a spot in the New Orleans Bowl. Also of note...Troy was 4-0 all-time against FAU, so this was an easy win, right??


I wish I knew what happened, really I do. It seemed we weren't ready at the beginning. Our defense did not play like they had for the past 10 games. It seemed everyone was waiting for the offense to score all the points like it had all year. And while they did get 32, 20 of those came in the fourth quarter as the team made what seemed like an improbable comeback only to come up short with an incomplete pass on fourth down with :28 seconds left. As the ball fell to the grond, so did my heart sink in my chest. That loss hurt...to have such a great year come up short in the end is not a good feeling. So no outright championship...no New Orleans Bowl...no nothing.

There's always next year.

Signing off, Jono

1 comment:

amy =) said...

very nice, great pics. i can't wait to get mine off my camera and see what i can do with them.